Jiddat Web Desk :: A scathing British parliamentary report on Monday branded Facebook “digital gangsters” that knowingly violated data privacy and competition laws.
Lawmakers’ 18-month investigation into disinformation and “fake news” also accused Facebook of failing to faithfully fight Russia’s alleged attempts to influence elections. Cultural select committee chair Damian Collins said Facebook “deliberately sought to frustrate our work by giving incomplete, disingenuous and at times misleading answers to our questions.Facebook co-founder and chief Mark Zuckerberg turned down three requests to appear before the committee.
The committee urged a compulsory code of ethics for all tech companies that would be overseen by an independent regulator.It said Facebook should be obliged to take down “sources of harmful content” and disinformation.
“We further recommend that the Government launches an independent investigation into past elections — including the UK election of 2017, the UK Referendum of 2016, and the Scottish Referendum of 2014 — to explore what actually happened with regard to foreign influence,” the report said.
British media quoted a response from Facebook saying it shared the committee’s concerns about fake news and election integrity.“We are open to meaningful regulation and support the committee’s recommendation for electoral law reform,” the company was quoted as saying.But it added: “No other channel for political advertising is as transparent and offers the tools that we do”.
The world’s largest social media platform has come under growing pressure over the past two years over its handling of users’ private data as well as Russia’s alleged attempts to influence US and various European elections.
The committee had earlier found that Facebook’s engineers had flagged potentially malicious Russian activity as early as 2014 — long before it became public. It also accused Facebook of offering Netflix and other popular apps preferential access to people’s data even after it had tightened its privacy rules.
Jiddat Web Desk ::Prime Minister—Imran Khan has taken the decision of hosting the complete Pakistan Super League—Fifth edition (PSL-5) in Pakistan next year, as per his special assistant.
Naeemul Haq—the Special Assistant to PM on Saturday, tweeted that the empty stadiums at the PSL matches in the United Arab Emirates justify the decision of the Prime Minister to shift the entire PSL to Pakistan next year. He expressed confidence that the nation would witness completely crowded stadiums in all the big cities of Pakistan once the franchise is brought to Pakistan.
Empty stadiums at PSL matches in UAE justify PM Imran Khan s decision to move the entire PSL to Pakistan next year. Matches inshallah will be played in all the big cities of Pakistan with jam packed stadiums.
Jiddat Web Desk ::A high-profile delegation of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia on Sunday, inked 7 Memorandum of Understandings (MoUs) and investment agreement with Pakistan, costing around $20billion for boosting bilateral relations.The details of the 7 MoUs signed between the two countries is as follows:
Saudi Arabia to give assistance to Pakistan in the production of electricity and its generation
Future cooperation between the Pakistan Standards and Quality Control Authority (PSQCA) and Saudi Standards, Metrology and Quality Organisation. PSQCA is a governed owned entity that advises the government on boosting industrial efficiency for improving the competitiveness of the products of Pakistan in the international markets. This MoU was signed by the foreign minister—Shah Mehmood Qureshi and his counterpart Adel bin Ahmed Al-Jubeir.
The Kingdom would be setting up an integrated refinery petrochemical plant. It would establish $10 billion oil refinery in Gwadar, Baluchistan. As per the reports of Radio Pakistan, the capacity of this suggested oil refinery would be somewhere between 250,000-300,000 bpd. Also, Saudi Arabia would be studying investment opportunities in the petrochemical and refining sectors of Pakistan. The federal minister for Petroleum—Ghulam Sarwar and the Energy Minister of Saudi Arabia—Khalid Al-Falih signed for these MoUs.
Promotion and cooperation for promoting sports between Pakistan and Saudi Arabia
The Saudi Fund for Development (SFD), establishing path ways for bilateral support to the developing nations, would finance the supply of crude oil and petroleum products to Pakistan
An MoU was inked in the division of renewable energy projects
Another MoU was signed in the sector of mineral and mine resources from Baluchistan and the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province
Besides these MoUs, the Kingdom has also agreed to provide Pakistan $3billion in foreign currency support for a year and a loan of $3billion in deferred payments for oil imports.
The advisor for commerce, textile, industry, production, and investment—Abdul Razaq Dawood said that this is a purely commercial investment. He also said that now the world would consider Pakistan a destination for making long term investments and that Pakistan is no more a security concern. With the oil deal, Pakistan would be getting oil of $2.5million worth on a per month basis. This deal would remain intact for 3 months.
Jiddat Web Desk ::US has been warning its allies to stay away from Huawei and its technological equipment for the past few years now, US rift with China and particularly Huawei has been promoted across the North America and Europe. The United States of America has started propaganda to ban Huawei last year. Despite the US warnings about espionage the Chinese company might be doing on behalf of Chinese government, the UK security chiefs have shown a green signal to Huawei saying that its superfast 5G-technology could be contained, Guardian reported.
The US has been continuously pressurizing the UK for not using Huawei technology for critical infrastructure development convincing the allies that it could be quite risky. However, Huawei has made clear that the company is owned by public and not the Chinese government, it also offered to open a new cyber security center as well as invited foreign authorities to visit its lab in order to investigate any possible espionage that the foreign authorities have concerns about.
US, Australia and New Zealand have already taken steps to block Huawei from entering into their 5G infrastructure market but the UK seems to be more lenient towards Huawei as the National Cyber Security Centre which is a wing of GCHQ, will advise that the security risk by the Chinese government should be manageable. Financial Times reported earlier that the authorities are likely to advise that the risks can be minimized.
The advice if it unfolds the same way suggests that UK is likely to withdraw from the position of banning Huawei from supplying 5G technology equipment, while speaking to a security conference in Munich last week, MI6 Chief, Sir Alex Younger said the complete ban might not be necessary however, the issue has a catch he suggested.
The technical advised is provided by NCSC but the decision is in the hands of the government, the government is likely to conduct review of the telecom infrastructure which is due to release in spring.
According to NCSC spokesperson, “The National Cyber Security Centre is committed to the security of UK networks, and we have a unique oversight and understanding of Huawei engineering and cyber-security.
“As was made clear in July’s Huawei Cyber Security Evaluation Centre (HCSEC) oversight board, the NCSC has concerns around Huawei’s engineering and security capabilities. We have set out the improvements we expect the company to make.“The authorities will publish the Annual HCSEC report in near future.”